Update from Billboard.com:
Madonna, “MDNA World Tour” (No. 90): The album version of Madonna’s “MDNA World Tour” concert video release debuts at No. 90 with 4,000 sold. It was issued only as a digital album and a CD-R on demand from Amazon.com. It is her 26th chart entry on the Billboard 200.
Meanwhile, on the Music Video Sales chart, the blu-ray and DVD version of the “MDNA World Tour” release combine to sell 11,000 for a No. 1 debut. It’s her 10th No. 1 and sixth chart-topper in a row.
Her last live album and video release, 2010′s “Sticky & Sweet Tour,” was released on blu-ray, CD/DVD and as a digital album. The former configuration enabled its No. 1 debut on Music Video Sales with 5,000, while the latter two combined for a No. 10 arrival on the Billboard 200 (28,000).
Had “MDNA World Tour” been issued on traditional CD and CD/DVD (and/or CD/blu-ray combo), then the album would have naturally charted much higher than No. 90 on the Billboard 200.
The original article continues below.
The MDNA Tour was released last week on CD, DVD and Blu-Ray, but everything didn’t go as planned.
Lots of fans complained about the quality of the DVD/Blu-Ray and Madonna commented during the Reddit AMA that they are currently looking into it as it might be a case of old technology not working with new technology.
This, however, didn’t stop it from entering the charts at number one all around the world!
MDNA Tour DVD
#2 Belgium (Wallonia)
#4 Belgium (Flanders)
#9 UK (Blu-Ray)
MDNA Tour CD
Madonna’s MDNA World Tour enters Top Music Videos at #1 in the USA. It’s Madonna’s 10th music video to top this chart.
- Madonna (four weeks at #1 in 1985),
- Madonna Live: The Virgin Tour (10 weeks in 1986)
- Ciao Italia: Live From Italy (eight weeks in 1988)
- The Immaculate Collection (four weeks in 1991)
- Drowned World Tour 2001 (one week in 2001)
- I’m Going To Tell You A Secret (two weeks in 2006)
- The Confessions Tour (two weeks in 2007)
- Celebration: The Video Collection (one week in 2009)
- Sticky & Sweet Tour (one week in 2010)
Thanks to all our readers for all the info!